How To Crop An Image In Photoshop
Today we’re going to look at how to crop an image in Photoshop using the Crop Tool. The Crop Tool can be selected by pressing the ‘C’ key on your keyboard. It is used to alter the aspect of an image and remove any unwanted parts while focusing on the more exciting areas. I’ve chosen this image from Aaron Lee, there’s nothing wrong with the image at all, I chose it solely because the composition works well with this demonstration.
Photo by Aaron Lee on Unsplash
Let’s go straight into the tutorial by cropping this image and using the Straightening Tool within the crop menu. Also, learn how to delete or retain the pixels outside of the crop.
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Crop In Photoshop
1. Select the Crop tool by clicking on the Crop Tool icon or by pressing C on your keyboard.
2. Left-click and drag the controls to adjust your crop.
3. To crop an image to a particular aspect ration click on the Ratio drop-down menu.
4. You can either drag your crop controls to where you want to crop the image or, like in this example, you can set your crop size, (maximum width in this case) then drag the crop to where you want it to be.
5. If your image needs straightening you can use the Straighten feature within the Crop Tool.
6. Left-click on one point and with the left mouse button still depressed, drag your cursor to the second point and release the mouse button to straighten your image.
7. The image straighten and the crop section also adjusts to make sure there aren’t any blank parts of the image.
TOP TIP – Sometimes Photoshop lets a tiny bit of blank space creep into the corners. Make sure to double-check that your crop is full.
8. The last thing we’re going to consider before we commit to our crop, is what to do with the image outside the crop. With this function, you can determine whether to hide or to delete the unwanted pixels.
TOP TIP – It’s best to hide the pixels, that way if we make a mistake with the crop we can always go back and retrieve the hidden pixels.
9. If you’re happy with the crop size and position, click on the tick. This will commit you to the current crop.
More About the Crop Tool in Photoshop
5 Secrets of the Photoshop Crop Tool
Cropping to an Exact Size in Photoshop
How to Easily Crop a Layer in Photoshop
Essential Tips for Cropping Images in Photoshop
Thank you for reading this article, be sure to sign up for our newsletter for more tutorials and great offers.
Enter your email below and join our community of more than 100,000 photographers who have
- Subscribed to our newsletter.
- Downloaded our FREE Photoshop Course.
- Use our FREE Easy panel in Photoshop.